The assigned topic for this week's SLOG is 'why geeks should write'. I consider myself a geek according to the dictionary definition of 'unfashionable or socially inept; having great attention to technical detail'. So here are some reasons why I think I should write.
First, writing regularly helps enhance my communication skills. Knowing how to express myself clearly and precisely is an useful skill to have, not only for writing docstrings in programming, but also in ordinary incidents such as writing emails. Often when writing an email, I find myself mentioning something that is not related to the topic, an indication of a lack of precise expression. Even as I am writing this SLOG, I am recognizing that several previous sentences I have put down are digressive and serve only to distract my audience, so I eventually had to remove them. However, if I practise writing regularly, I may be able to make fewer of these mistakes and keep the delivery of my ideas concise.
Second, writing can help me relieve stress. Although the requirement for writing SLOGs every week adds to the heap of stress I must handle, the process of writing, not just SLOGs, sometimes relieves my stress. At the end of the day, I can create a text document and write down everything that bothered me, freely expressing my (sometimes offensive) opinions to the entity that will keep them secrets forever.
Finally, writing can give me a chance to reflect on myself. I rarely motivate myself, at the end of the day, or week, or even month, to think about what I should have or should not have done, what interesting things I saw, or what I want to do in the near and distant future. Writing things down can help me gather and solidify memories and thoughts that I find worth remembering. Instead of always looking ahead of my journey, it's good to look back at my tracks.
At this point I realized that I have gone off-topic again, because I didn't explain why, geeks, in particular, should write. I think this is because I truly believe that no one is exempt from the benefit of writing, geeks are no special. Everyone should write.
No comments:
Post a Comment